Interested in becoming a LEAD Tutor?
LEAD Tutors are typically involved in the major in which they will be a leader but it is not a requirement. You must earn at least a B+ or better in the course to be considered for a position. This job can be competitive, so if you are thinking about applying, it is better to do it sooner rather than later.
Submit an Application (The Application Portal is Closed at this Time, Please Check Back in Spring 2017)
What is the hiring process like?
- Once all applications have been received, the UTS Director and associated staff reviews each application, checks your transcripts and speak with the professor of the course you took. We then go through the normal steps of checking references, etc.
- If you are chosen, you will receive a phone call from our office. If you are not chosen, you will receive a letter/email from us.
- You will then come in for an interview with the Director or the LEAD Graduate Assistant.
- Training sessions are held at the beginning of each semester as a group so that you can meet other LEAD Tutors, both returning and new.
How many hours are involved and what days will I work?
- LEAD Tutors are allowed a maximum of 10 hours per week. This includes 3 hours for attending lecture, 3 hours for study sessions and 2 hours of preparation time.
- LEAD sessions are only held Monday-Thursday, typically between the hours of 5-9pm.
- The current rate of pay for LEAD Tutors is $9/hour.
- LEAD Tutors are paid twice per month, usually on the 15th and the 30/31st.
What if I made a good grade in the course but haven't had it in a couple of years?
- You are allowed to rent the textbook for the course through the rental system at the ASU bookstore. You may obtain a text permission form from the UTS Director to take to the ASU Bookstore and acquire any rental text.
- The best resource you can utilize if you are a little rusty on the material is one of your fellow LEAD tutors. During training you will have access to effective handouts from former LEAD Tutors that will help you to get started.