Advice for student athletes
Due to the time commitment and physical demands of their sports, student athletes face unique challenges in college. Here are some ideas from Jessica Summey, a former student athlete and graduate of Appalachian State University. (Jessica ran track. She is currently a graduate student in Student Development and works with the Study Hall program for student athletes as well as Learning Skills Services).
Being a student athlete can be stressful the following tips might help:
- Get a full night's rest.
- Do not skip meals.
- Take advantage of Study Hall (It's there for a reason).
- Do not be afraid to seek help (tutoring, writing center, SI session, research librarians, etc.) Wise use of such resources can save you a great deal of time and help you make sure your study time pays off.
- Use your time wisely. It's a good idea to start on assignments right away. Don't delay.
- Get to know your advisor and meet with them regularly. The advisors for student athletes are especially aware of what you need to do to meet eligibility requirements and can share ideas of what helped other student athletes succeed.
- Talk to your professors/and keep up with assignments. Communicate with them in advance if you have to miss for any reason, but especially for athletic commitments.
- It is very tempting to take a quick nap between classes, because you are tired from all you are attempting. Be sure to set at least one alarm (if not two!) so you won't sleep through your next class.
- Be aware that other students who are NOT involved in team sports can get away with last minute cram sessions or all nighters. Student athletes do not have that kind of leeway, so please do not put off your work until the end. It is far better to whittle away at it any chance you get.
- Look for ways to make travel time not be wasted time. Some ideas while enroute: bring flash cards to quiz yourself; discuss projects or papers with a teammate or quiz one another; some are able to use their laptops effectively on the bus as well (and the Academic Services for Athletes Program has a limited number of laptops for check out for this purpose as well).
For more information, check out this website: http://www.ssa.appstate.edu/