University Tutoring Services
Fall Semester 2015
Fall 2015 Start-up for University Tutorial Services begins confirming, hiring (or re-hiring) and conducting training sessions with our returning and new tutors. This requires the first two weeks of classes as these tutors must complete their personnel paperwork for student employment, develop and submit to us their available times, and attend to their own academic start-up needs and class schedule adjustments. Our tutors are highly qualified and successful undergraduates in their subject areas, and we respect and provide this first weeks for them to acclimate to the new semester.
- The first day to submit a Request for For Tutoring is Tuesday, August 17th, in the UTS Lab Room 208 D. D. Dougherty.
- The first day of scheduled tutoring will be Monday, August 31st.
To request a tutor or find out about available offerings, come to Rm. 208 D. D. Dougherty between the hours of 9am-7pm Mon-Friday, and a Lab Manager will be on duty to assist you. You may also call (828) 262-3060 during these operational hours with to find out if tutoring is available in your needed course area. The General Math Help Lab, the Accounting Lab and the University Writing Center are operational for the fall of 2015. Click the Image Icon to watch video overview: (PDF text transcript of video)
Scheduling a tutor:
To review schedule options with a lab manager, you must know the Course Info including Course Number (i.e. MAT1020 College Algebra), the name of the Professor, and your Banner ID. Tutoring is offered in most 1000-2000 level courses and some higher level coursework in areas where demand is traditionally high*. A lab manager will assist you in completing a request form, scheduling you if possible, and providing you with info about other available resources. Please see our additional info links on the right sidebar or contact us if you have questions.
If you are having academic difficulty or just want to do your best in a course, Tutoring Services provides resources that can help. Scheduling requires that you come in person to the UTS Lab, complete a request form and work with a lab manager to review available times. If no current times work with your schedule, you will be placed on a waiting list. When you can be matched with a tutor you will be contacted (and possibly scheduled) via email.
Tutoring is free for all Appalachian students and is provided via several effective formats. Tutoring Services offers:
- Weekly Sessions (1-3 persons) in the UTS Lab and
- Several Departmental Help Labs that are accessible without an appointment during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
- University Tutorial Services is located in room 208 D. D. Dougherty. For more information, call (828) 262-3060.
- *at times during this coming 2015-16 academic year, we will likely experience scheduling limitations due to a high number of requests and severe budgetary limitations. If this situation is impacting you personally, please feel free to let us know or comment at this link: Post a Comment