Study Skills Resources
Some of these may be useful to you in keeping up with your academic work and finding effective ways to review difficult concepts. Each one is in PDF format, so you will need to have the free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to access these files.
Time Management Tools
- Weekly schedule (PDF) (to plan when you can study!)
- Weekly schedule with your choice of times
- To do list (PDF)
- Goal-setting sheet (PDF)
- Roles and goals goal-setting sheet (PDF)
- Grade Sheet (PDF) (keep track of all grades)
- Course Syllabus Worksheet (PDF)
- Fall 2012 Monthly calendars
- Spring 2013 Monthly calendars
- Reverse planning worksheet
Insights Related to Raising your GPA
Whether you just want to improve your overall GPA or if you are on academic probation, the following resources may be helpful.
- Predict your GPA using the calculator on this website: http://www.registrar.appstate.edu/records/gpa.html
*If you are repeating any classes, you should use this worksheet instead. Please be aware that using one of your four repeats to replace a failing grade is one of the quickest ways to improve your GPA--as long as you do well the second time you take the course.
- Reflect on what obstacles have prevented you from achieving higher grades thus far. This worksheet may help.
- If you are on probation, please be sure to read over this website developed by the Registrar's Office. It can be very helpful. http://www.registrar.appstate.edu/records/probation.html
- Create a plan of action. This worksheet may be helpful.
Campus Academic Resources
- do's and don'ts of note-taking (PDF) (handout)
- 2 column & 3 column note (PDF)
- sample 2 column notes (PDF) (lecture)
- sample 3 column notes (PDF) (lecture)
- sample 3/4 column notes (PDF) (lecture)
- outline notes (PDF) (lecture)
These graphic organizers may help you pull out key points in a way that will help you understand and remember more. Experiment to find what format works best for you or for what you are studying.
- Chart (PDF)
- Compare/Contrast (PDF)
- Concept Definition (PDF)
- KWL (PDF)L
- Network Tree (PDF)
- Sequence (PDF)
- Steps (PDF)
- Triangle Cycle (PDF)
- Hierarchy tree (PDF)
- Problem Solution Chart (PDF)
- Vocabulary Matrix (PDF)
- Web (PDF)
- Word Web (PDF)
- Post Test Survey (PDF)
- Tips on surviving classes with tough multiple choice tests (PDF)
- Tips on managing test anxiety (PDF)
Final Exam Preparation
We recommend enrolling in RE 1010 Power Reading to practice various strategies to develop effective and efficient reading strategies. This handout may also give you ideas of strategies you can practice on your own.
This self-assessment can help you reflect on areas where you might improve. Such insights can help you make choices, set goals, and identify actions. This focus leads to success, and each success, small or large, can help motivate you: http://college.cengage.com/collegesurvival/downing/on_course/4e/students/assess/index.html
An integrated academic/career development plan for your time at Appalachian
Click on the following link to review an interactive plan to make the most of your time at Appalachian so that you will be ready to launch your career or pursue an advanced degree by the time you graduate.
Taking Online Classes?
- Here's a handout to help you be aware of what it takes to succeed.
- Need to build your general computer skills? Appalachian provides access to atomic learning, a series of online videos to help you become familiar with a wide range of software programs. http://lts.appstate.edu/resources/atomic
General Study Skills
- www.freerice.com Fun way to build vocabulary
- www.supervoca.com vocabulary building- GRE, TOEFL, ESL, Greek Vocab
- www.sas.calpoly.edu/asc/ssl.html Reading strategies
- http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ is a free website with several tips on writing and grammar.
GRE Test Prep
- www.freerice.com is a fun way to build your vocabulary
- www.sparknotes.com has a full length review of the GRE that is simply fantastic, and it includes practice tests that are helpful too (just watch for strange formatting of the math problems).
- www.ets.org Information on testing sites, test design and ordering information